Getting Started / November 09, 2016

Road Racing Guide

Are you ready to take that step from watching road racing to getting behind the wheel? SCCA has produced more road racers than anyone, so you’re in good hands.

These are step-by-step instructions and guidance which will help you obtain an SCCA Competition License.

How to Get a License

Step 1 – Join the SCCA

The first step in this process is to join the SCCA. By joining, you will not only complete the first step toward competitive racing. You will also be awarded the opportunity to attend, and participate in, other OVR events as well!

Step 2 – Submit the necessary forms and applications

Forms you will need to submit are:

  • Sports Physical Form (performed by doctor) dated no more than 6 months prior to application
  • Novice Permit Form
  • If you are between the ages of 14-18, you will need to submit the following:
    • Minor Release and Waiver
    • Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgement (Form MS-L)
  • Two passport size photos
  • A photocopy of your Moto Vehicle Operators Licesnse

*NOTE:  All waiver forms must be printed in COLOR.

A novice permit fee will also be required upon submission of all forms. For details contact the SCCA Member Services Department at 800-770-2055 ext. 215.

2016 OVR Website-89

Step 3 – Prepare to enter an SCCA Driver School Event

Check the “Events” section of the web site, which has a list of upcoming events. If there is no upcoming event in your area listed, check SportsCar magazine or your Region’s newsletter or web site for additional schedule listings. Simply call the phone number listed next to the event date that interests you and request an event entry form to be sent to you.

Some regions hold Drivers Schools only in the Spring, while others conduct them year round. However, you may attend an SCCA Driver School anywhere in the country.

To attend an SCCA Driver School, you must arrange for your own properly prepared race car. You will also need approved driving gear, including an SCCA approved helmet. If you do not have a race car, you will have to rent or lease one in order to attend a school. Renting allows you to concentrate on driving and also permits you to consider which class best fits your goals before you buy a car. Rental prices generally range from $500 – $2,000 depending on the car type. Contact your local Region’s Competition Chairman for assistance in obtaining a rented vehicle.

Read and become familiar with the GCR before your first school!

Be sure to pay special attention to the GCR section on Flags! This is where you’ll find information about specific vehicles as well as equipment requirements and standards.

Step 4 – Driver School Checklist

Upon receipt of your event entry packet, READ ALL the information provided. Most importantly, note the rules and regulations specific to the event and the race track. Complete your entry form in its entirety and return it to the person listed. Make absolutely certain your personal driving equipment, (i.e., Helmet, Driving Suit, Gloves/Shoes, etc.) is in good order, and that your car is race-ready BEFORE the first on-track sessions. Be punctual for your classroom sessions. These are mandatory.

Make every effort to have a qualified mechanic on hand to ensure your car runs properly, as you successfully must complete all the on-track sessions in order to get credit for the school.

Step 5 – SCCA Full Competition License…and Beyond

Upon completion of one Driver School and three additional race weekends (you’re still a Novice for your first three), you are eligible to receive an SCCA Full Competition License. You have two years from the date of issue to complete the Novice requirements. Once the requirements are met, send your completed Novice Permit, signed off by the event Chief Steward at your third race; a copy of your Physical Exam; Competition License Application and $100 to the Member Service Department. You will soon be the proud owner of a Full Competition License.

2016 OVR Website 2-44

Drivers with Previous Racing Experience

Depending upon your previous racing experience, some or all of your licensing requirements may be waived by the Chief Steward of your SCCA Driver School or by your Divisional Licensing Administrator.

For example: A driver who previously held an SCCA license but has not raced for a few years. Depending on this individual’s previous racing record and the length of the layoff, it’s possible the Divisional Licensing Administrator may waive the driver back to a Full Competition license. Or, the Administrator may require a “retread” to complete a Drivers School or a private racing school before a waiver will be considered. If you have previous racing experience and would like a waiver, document your experience and present your request to your Divisional Licensing Administrator.

Go back to News & Resources